- Aserriceño/a – a person who lives in the town of Aserrí
- Botaratas – someone who wastes money or spends carelessly
- Candidatearse – to be a candidate for an office
- Chanear – to shine, spruce up or clean
- Chayotera – a person’s signature
- Chepear –to snoop or be nosey
- Cruzarle el caballo – to be an obstacle or to stop someone from doing something
- Goico – short for the area of Goicoechea
- Guindo – a ravene or gully
- Hacerle la cruz a – to avoid something
- Improvisados – amateur bull fighters
- Más torcido que el rabo de chancho – to be crooked literally and figuratively
- Motorizado/a – a person who delivers food or goods by motorcycle
- ¡Qué jeta! – Shut up!
- Tamalear – to eat tamales
- Tamarindear – to drink liquor
- Tenerle a uno hasta el copete – to bed fed up or sick of something
Alborotar el panal is to make waves or cause an uproar
Bicha is a motorcycle
Burro is a person who is paid to transport drugs
Burros are type of shoe that has a thick sole with treads or hiking.
Cantar a todo galillo is to sign at the top of one’s lungs.
Fumigar literally means to fumigate but also means to kill somebody.
Hacer buena yunta is to make a good couple or make a good team with someone you work with.
Majo is short for the name María José
Mover el esqueleto is to dance. Bailar is the correct way of saying to dance.
Pedir cacao is to ask for forgiveness
Se fue en todo is to screw up
Se le cayó el barniz is when someone’s image gets tarnished.
Soltar el huevo is to spend money or to pay someone money that you owe them. Soltar el perro is a synonym.
Sudar tacacos is to worry.
Tafies is slang for fiesta (party)
- A todo gas is to do something at full speed
- Andar de mano sudada is to have a boyfriend or girlfriend
- Cerchas – beams in the ceiling of a house
- Cleta – bicycle. Bicicleta is the correct word for bicycle
- Empuchado/a is a diligent or hard working person
- Jamonear is to hit someone
- Jupón/a is a stubborn person
- lo or la fueron is to have fired someone from a job
- La peli is a movie or flick
- Más peligroso que un rifle chocho is to be very dangerous
- Merula is slang for a woman’s makeup
- Parecer un bistec de 5 pesos, solo nervios is to be nervous or all nerves
- Pichuleo is an odd job; Salvar la tanda is to save the day
- Se fue de pollo or se fue en todo is to screw up or be deceived
- Tirarse a la pista means not to hesitate or not think about something twice
Christmas – Navidad
Christmas card – tarjeta navideña
Christmas carol- un villancico
Christmas day – el día de Navidad
Christmas decorations – adornos de navidad
Christmas eve – la nochebuena
Christmas gift – regalo
Christmas lights – esferas
Christmas present – regalo de Navidad
Christmas spirit – espíritu navideño
Christmas wreath – la corona de Navidad
Christmas tree – el árbol de Navidad
Christmas vacation – las vacaciones de Navidad
Happy Holidays – felices fiestas
Holly – acebo
Merry Christmas – ¡Feliz Navidad!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year – ¡Feliz Navidad y Próspero Año Nuevo!
Mistletoe – muérdago
Nativity scene – portal. In other countries nacimiento
New Year’s Day – el día de año nuevo
New Year’s Eve – nochevieja
New Year’s resolution – propósito de año nuevo
Poinsettia – pastora
Santa Claus – San Nicolás, Papá Noel or Colacho in Costa Rica
Three Wise Men – los Reyes Magos
Tinsel – oropel
To see in the New Year – recibir el año nuevo or despedir el año viejo
Costa Rican New year’s Expression – Año nuevo, vida nueva – a new year, a new life.
Bien pellizcado/a is an astute person
Cascarudo/a is a shameless person
Cletero/a is a bicyclist
Echar patas literally means to sprout feet, but is used when an object is stolen.
Estar de manteles largos is to celebrate one’s birthday
Guindo is type of gully or ravine
La cultura del guaro refers to the widespread consumption of liquor in Costa Rica. Guaro is a sugarcane-based liquor
Llenazo is an event that a lot of people attend or that is a complete success
Pelagatos is a useless or insignificant person
Platinazo is the temporary closing of a famous bridge “la Platina” that has been plagued with structural problems over the years.
La Refor is short for la reforma which is the country’s main prison.
Tamarindear is to drink liquor
Topador is a person who sells stolen merchandise or a fence
Voladera de bala is a shootout with guns